[THIN] Re: OT: dhcp conflict detection?

  • From: "Roger Riggins" <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:29:38 -0600

If you want static to be able to track an IP address over time then I
would suggest DHCP reservations. You'll get what you're looking for but
will still have a more dynamic and flexible network. I can add a new DNS
server in DHCP and be done in 10 seconds. I use it for servers,
switches, printers... etc. without issue. I can look at my reservation
list and see in real time what I've got vs. looking at a spreadsheet of
IPs that may not be current. I can also pull up statistics and quickly
see how many addresses are available on each subnet.

Those are some of the reasons I use it.

Good luck!

  Roger Riggins  |  Network Administrator, Information Technology
  Lutheran Services in Iowa
  P.O. Box 848
  106 16th Street Southwest
  Waverly, Iowa  50677