[THIN] Re: OT: Poll Hard Drive Manufacturers

  • From: Chris Buechler <thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:58:59 -0400

Doug Rooney wrote:
I have had the best luck with Maxtor drives.
I detest Seagate for the reasons you mentioned.

This goes to show how much experiences vary. We'll never buy another Maxtor drive ever again at my employer, or me personally. After countless failures in multiple drive lots, and numerous more failures with the replacement drives, we won't even bother RMA'ing anything Maxtor that dies (though almost all we had are long dead and trashed).

We use almost all Seagate drives now, haven't had many problems at all, and the few that needed RMA were a slight pain, but nothing terrible. I've had to deal with *much* worse.

Of course Maxtor == Seagate now, Seagate bought them. Not sure what their plans for Maxtor are.