[THIN] Re: MSI packaging

  • From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:36:22 -0000

Wise Package Studio gets my vote. Nice transform creation tool as well.
(Free cut down version with Altiris DS 6.5 / HP Rapid Deployment Pack 2.2)

I have found recently that we actually dont have to repackage (leaving Wise a
bit redundant for that purpose) anymore as
many applications as they seem to be :

i.  Installshield (use -r to create a setup.iss recording although some can be
tricky to uninstall via Ctx IM),
ii. MSi files anyway
iii. Executables that you can extract msi's from
iii. Vendor provided own custom installers ( Even oldies like Oracle Forms 6i
have them)
iv. Setup routines that are controlled by ini files ... i pushed Adobe 505
automatically with IM without repackaging.

A quick look at Appdeploy.com normally helps too.

For other apps i create my own MSi files where possible.
The ones that really get on my goat are the Installshield ones that you can
extract MSi files from but wont run without setup.exe ....

Other apps to look at that arent bad are Installer Design Studio from
Scriptlogic (used to be Masai Installer), or for creating MSI files i use
Installer2Go which is free and creates really nice msi files.

Nothing tops the Microsoft Resource Kits though ...