[THIN] Re: Load Evaluator query

  • From: "Angela Smith" <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 07:53:39 +1100

User is not a good indicator in our environment. You may have 20 users one 1 server using minimal memory (depending on application being used) and 20 users on another using applications that use excess memory. Using User Load as the check won't be good enough as you may have 1 server working extremely hard and others doing nothing. It may be sufficeint in environments where application resource usage is similar across all apps but ours is very different with some applications using large amounts of memory.

Im pretty sure we don't have a memory leak issue. We have lots of IE based published apps that use Java which eats lots of memory.

I actually tried the Advanced evaluators and had mixed results. Running qfarm / load showed almost all servers as being fully loaded. The status changed every few seconds also - one second fully loaded, next second the server is least loaded. I went back to my old evaluators which don't change every second hence give a better picture of server load.

Its quite possible that my servers simply need to be optimised via a third party product such has Appsense. I will install an eval version and will see how eveything goes.

Thanks

From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Load Evaluator query
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:36:09 -0700

Can you expand on why user load in not a good evaluator?   Its the most
common and recommend one.

Generally it's CPU utilization that is not a good evaluator as it is a
volatile metric.   The problems you are describing is a typical result of
using CPU as a metric (its good in theory, bad in practice).

Joe

On 1/31/07, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Just want some input on Load Evaluators.  We used a custom evaluator which
comprised of:

- CPU Utilization
- Memory Usage
- Server User Load

We have an issue where the load is not evenly spread across the
farm.  Some
servers are running out of swapfile while other servers are doing nothing.
Most of our Apps use excess Swapfile.  Im thinking of using the following
evaluators:

- CPU Utilization
- Memory Usage
- Page Swaps

User load is not a good indicator for our farm.  Can anyone see any issues
with using the above?

Thanks

Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search
Now!
www.seek.com.au

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT

SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com