[THIN] Re: Load Evaluator query

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:03:53 -0700

Best practices is generally:
        Allocate Pagefile on a separate partition.  This allows the pagefile
to be contiguous.
        Set the minimum and maximum of the pagefile to the same amount.
This prevents CPU and I/O overhead to expand the pagefile during heavy
usage.  It also prevents fragmentation of the pagefile.
        Pagefile size should be 1.5x to 2x the amount of memory with some
exceptions.  Max pagefile size is 4095 per volume without having to hack the
registry.  This is also where common sense come into play.  The maximum
memory for a standard 32bit Windows OS is 4 gigs with that being split
between kernel mode and user mode (2 gigs each).  If you're pushing a 4 gig
pagefile then you have some a serious memory bottleneck.  Either you can
tune the system (reduce memory utilization with the various tools out
there),  scale out (add new servers), or scale up by moving to a 64-bit
platform and adding memory.  So my recommendation?  4 gig pagefile Max for
the machine.  Anything more is a waste of disk space.
        Use only one pagefile if everything is on the same disk volume.  The
only time having multiple pagefiles is useful is if you have multiple sets
of spindles(if using raid, not a single raid set but multiple raid sets),
otherwise you'll cause disk thrashing.
        If you follow the first two recommendations, there is no need to
defrag the pagefile.

Joe