[THIN] Re: Folder Redirection using True Control Templates

  • From: Michael Pardee <pardeemp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:16:25 -0400

We have been redirecting My Documents, Favorites, Application Data, and Desktop for years and it works OK. I will warn you that you really better understand your file serving in the back end where all that redirection is happening or you will be in for a lot of heartburn. We worked with Microsoft through NT4, Windows2000, and Windows2003 and were constantly tuning and tweaking something to keep performance as we needed it as we grew. When we went to Windows2003 R2 X64 clusters that helped tremendously. Rick Mack mentioned Polyserve on this list once upon a time and we have recently completed our migration to Polyserve and will probably never look back. Finally, a distributed lock manager for Windows.

We are about to test Cookies now as we found that by cleaning out the Cookies our user's logon times went from 3 minutes down to 40 seconds. We do use roaming profiles but know that may not last too much longer.

On Sep 1, 2008, at 8:07 PM, Angela Smith wrote:

Hi

Ive implemented Login Consultants True Control Templates V2.004 (TCT) which are working very well. We currently redirect My Documents, Favorites, My Pictures and Desktops which works fine. We use MS Roaming profiles but I am looking at removing this. I cant see the need for roaming profiles if the relevant folders in the profile are redirected to the users Home Drive (server share). I am looking at going one step further and will redirect the following:

- Application Data
- Cookies
- Local Settings

Has anyone redirected any of the above and did they encounter any issues?? FYI, the Home Drive location that these are being redirected to are on the same network as the citrix servers so performance should be OK. We are not redirecting across a WAN.. Once all these redirections are in place, I will remove roaming profiles. Can anyone see any issues with my approach?

Thanks
Ang

Find out: SEEK Salary Centre Are you paid what you're worth?