[THIN] Re: Flash on MF XPe 1.0

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:08:54 +1000

Hi Rob,

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand the logic behind going for a Flash-based
application solution when your application delivery mecanism is terminal
services/Citrix and the end user devices are thin client terminals.

A richer user interface equates to a lot more "movement" and a lot more bitmap
updates. Unless you're executing Flash locally, I'm kind of surprised there's
only a 500% increase in bandwidth utilization :-(

Having said that, browser support in PS4 is heaps better than XP with local
JPEG image handling, lossy graphics rendition etc that equates to much better
IE performance in an ICA session. Provided of course you're running the Version
8 client or later (not 100% certain but also 7.2 for CE?).

There are more improvements in store but while they'll make things a lot
faster, they're dependent on upgrading the ICA client on your thin client
devices and even then I'm not sure they'll make up a 500% difference.

The only way Flash should be considered as a viable application rollout option
in your scenario is if:

1) Your user base is attracted to the "richer" front end and this gives you a
significant commercial
    advantage.

2) You use a  WAN bandwidth optimisation appliance. Considering some of the
claims, this might
    provide a solution.

3) You throw out terminal services/Citrix and use the local browser only on
your thin client devices.
    That means updating at least some of your thin clients to something that
will support a reasonably
    up-to-date version of IE or Netscape with Flash support.

Of course the usual scenario is that you wouldn't have had a chance for any
input on the design etc of the new application and now it's your fault if it
doesn't work.

But it might be worth pointing out to the decision makers that you can have a
rich user interface without Flash, all it needs is the developers realizing
that bandwidth does matter. Make your developers work from home using a dial-up
connection. They'll soon get a feel for what's acceptable.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems