[THIN] Re: Deleting Citrix Roaming Profiles

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:54:17 -0800

*1) Does anyone know an easy way of deleting specific printers from a
roaming profile via a script on logon/logoff?
Failing this, Im looking at deleting the profiles but have 2 issues with
this.*

- Printer values for users are stored in their registry more than in then
within the file system. You could look to clear out the reg data for the
specific printers you want to get rid of from under "HKCU\printers" and it's
subkeys during a log off.

*2) The favorites are stored in the profile. Has anyone successfully
relocated the IE Favorites to the users Home Drive via GPO or script?*
**
- Yes, but this setup is honestly most easily done during the creation of a
new roaming profile as opposed to modifying an existing one. There is no
folder redirection policy which affects IE favorites. My trick for forcing
IE favorites to a home folder location is a modification to the "default
profile" used by the terminal servers, which will force all new profiles to
use the IE favorites value defined. These changes would show up under HKCU
as:

HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders\Favorites

and

HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
Folders\Favorites

*3) IE has stored passwords in the profile. Users don't remember half the
passwords so Id like a way to export this information somehow or exclude the
file from being deleted so user passwords are not deleted. Where in the
profile does this password information get stored and can it be extracted
and reimported without user intervention?*
- Not really any good answer for this question. Password data for websites
gets saved in cookies which are stored under the user profile with the
temporary internet files. "C:\documents and settings\%username%\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*". I'm not aware of any utility from
Microsoft or otherwise which could be used to extract website / user
password data from these locations. :(

If you're looking to make roaming profile adjustments for all of your staff,
it may be a good time to look into implementing Flex Profiles for your
organization in the place of Roaming profiles. If you can make the switch,
you'll find the versatility of the flex profile model allows for much easier
profile maintenance, and your login / logoff times should become much
faster.

HTH

Lan