[THIN] Re: Controlling Virtual Memory Usage

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:55:48 +1000

Hi Angela,

Sounds like a Java app :-(

Seriously, DLL remapping (memory optimization) probably won't give you a lot
of value in your scenario, but it'd be worth trying. Sure there's the risk
it will break something but it's dead easy to turn off without rebooting to
check. And there's enough tweaking possible to have memory optimization and
everything working as well.

However a product like Appsense performance manager that also does memory
working set trimming of backgrounded and idle processes will probably work
much better in your scenario. Try the eval version, or better yet get your
reseller to install an eval version and see how it goes. It's not cheap but
it's also a lot less expensive than more servers.

Considering that paging activity is likely to be the bottleneck regardless
of the size of the pagfile(s), I'd suggest you stick with the configuration
you've got and try memory optimization and Appsense first. It's possible to
have multiple page files on separate partitions or even the same partition
but it'd probably make things worse for you rather than better.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Commander Australia

On 1/3/07, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Almost all my Windows 2003 STD / Presentation Server 4 servers are running
out of Swap space.  Hardware config is:

Dual 3.6Ghz
4Gb RAM

Swap size is 4095 - 4095 and it resides on the C: Drive.  Main process
which
is using most of the Swap is Internet Explorer.  Most of our Published
apps
are browser based so I have numerous IEXPLORE.EXE processes eating all the
swap.  Alot of the IEXPLORE.EXE processes use between 150Mb - 300Mb of VM.
Is there any way I can tweak the memory usage for IE to minimise the
amount
of Swap being used?

We have not enabled memory optimization in Citrix farm properties as I
read
it breaks certain applications? Is this the case?  Will enabling this
assist
in this issue?

I was going to purchase extra servers to lighten the load but most other
resource indicators are OK.  I would prefer to tweak existing servers if
possible. We have between 80 - 100 sessions per server (40 - 50 users per
box on average)

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Angela