[THIN] Application Error

  • From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:27:18 -0400

I have an application called Timberline installed on Windows 2000 SP4,
Citrix XPA FR3 SP4. Around the time I upgraded to Citrix SP4, Win2K Post
SP4 patch, and upgraded to the latest version of Timberline I started
receiving an error when Timberline is closed. I didn't detect any errors
because no one reported the problem for sometime so I kept upgrading and
service packing until everything was updated.

After a week or two users reported that when closing out of some
Timberline screens or closing out of Timberline they would receive an
error: "The Instructions at 0x00ba0b60 referenced memory at 0x00ba0b60.
The memory could not be read". You click ok on the error message and it
does not appear to cause any problems.

1- I investigated and found that the error only occurs in an ICA or RDP
session only. From the console on the server it does not error.

2- I've tried regmon and filemon and neither show any problems that I
can tell.

3- I've tried almost everything the vendor has suggested, although they
seem to have no clue. They have had me try different printers and are
now telling me to reinstall TCP/IP.

4- All other applications (Office, IE, Acrobat) are working perfect on
the same servers.

I don't know if this is being caused by a service pack, hotfix,
application update, or corruption has caused this. I have two servers
load balanced and they both exhibit the same symptoms so I think
corruption is not likely.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? It does appear to be terminal
services related as it only occurs within ICA or RDP sessions.

Thank you!

Senior Network Administrator