[THIN] Re: App data

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:56:59 +1100

I agree with Joe and Andrew, and second the "top banana storage and network
resources" statement J

Do not apply folder redirection for AppData, but use a profile management
solution that will "roam" it for you. Most solutions, such as UPM, AppSense
and Flex, will allow you to Include, Exclude, Copy, and Sync folders, so the
whole of AppData doesn't need to roam, unlike the traditional Microsoft
roaming profiles.

If I'm having to work without a profile management solution, I will use
logon and logoff scripts to import and export settings, which includes
copying parts of AppData to and from a location under the users home drive.
This is not a lot different than what the profile management solutions do.
Let's face it, how much of the AppData structure is really required to roam?
I typically say top 10-20 apps (which always includes Outlook) keeps the
users happy. The rest is just junk.

Cheers,

Jeremy