[THIN] Re: Alternative fileservers (EMC Celerra)

  • From: "Erik Blom" <erik.blom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 06:59:48 +0000

Strange, 3 rd time I try to post my reply, hope this one makes it to the list

**************

Hi Adam,

Some background information about my originally posted question:

As far as performance goes, we continuously have about 7,000 files open (which
include files from users’ home drives & the usual company data) and I do not
have the impression that our current Windows 2003 SP1 file server will easily
scale to say 10,000 open files. All relevant maxmpxct, maxworkitems, … tweaks
have been applied to the fileserver and the Citrix servers, and file serving is
this servers’ unique role. Thus in order to scale for more users, I would need
to configure a second file serving environment and kind of ‘load balance’ the
files between these file servers, unless of course another solution would
‘perform’ better, which in my case means more open files without hiccups. BTW,
the SAN the file server is connected to is an EMC Clariion CX300 – Perfmon
shows no abnormally high disk queue lengths so we don’t have the impression
that SAN performance is the bottleneck.

Regarding high-availability, this file server is replicated and clustered with
its counterpart 10 km away. Legato Autostart is at present the
clustering/replication solution, replication is hostbased (via a locally
installed driver) and travels via a Gbit IP link to the other node. So each of
the two file servers is connected to its own CX300 which is kind of a
protection against SAN outages too, I presume. We would like to keep this level
of HA, and if possible ‘upgrade’ towards an active/active clustering solution
if possible (I think this will be difficult to achieve given that we are
talking about two separate sites that are replicated). EMC told us that
active/active clustering is possible with their Celera line. Active/active
clustering would also allow for spreading the load between multiple servers
which would gain us obvious benefits in the performance/scalability department.

This year we are going to upgrade our back-end storage (the CX300) towards a
higher-end storage system that would allow for SAN-to-SAN replication which I
think will perform better, so that the fileserver itself only needs to worry
about its files and not about replication anymore. The clustering solution
might be Windows 2003 cluster, or we might do away with Windows 2003 and deploy
a totally new sort of fileserver, like the Celera or Netapp or one of the other
solutions that I have read here. I don’t know Windows Storage Server that well,
but will certainly look further into it.

Erik