[THIN] Re: Alternative fileservers (EMC Celerra)

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:13:03 +1000

Hi Jim,

Centera is more than just a data archiving solution. It uses cheap disks but
provides enough layers of redundancy that it's still reliable and you have
a lot faster solution than the traditional optical media based systems that
used to be used for email archiving etc. Quite a few of my customers use
them and they do their job. I think they're somewhat over-priced but
considering that they were designed as a write-once archival solution for
compliance requirements, in that area they're good value for money.

Though I've always wondered about putting archival data on magnetic media
;-)

The Centera with disk extender is a heirarchical storage system and isn't or
shouldn't ever be in a scenario where i/o performance will negatively impact
your environment.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack