[THIN] Re: A definitive registry information source?

  • From: "Jim Kenzig" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 16:18:20 -0400

First off I am not convinced that VDI is anything more than hype.  As a
customer of Microsoft products the exhorbitant licensing related costs are
going to keep me from spending a dime on it. 5 years from now when they get
it all sorted out maybe.  I just read a post that the citrix solution would
come out to be something like $175 a user. I have a thousand users. Why
would I spend 175,000 on that? I could buy a whole lot of thin clients and
TS servers for that much!

Secondly while the idea for the site is good Jon there are literally
millions of registry keys and I just can't see the benefit of keeping up a
site like this.  I have about a hundred registry utilities I used to give
out on the thin.net that are available out there on the web.  As
applications become more vitualized you will see virtual registry entries
going along with them. So trying to sort a "virtual" entry out over a fixed
entry is going to get dicey.

The "virtual" registry is a whole new concept offered in Vista/2008.   No
longer are keys written to one specific place.  What further complicates
things is that a lot of things can't or simply wont ever roam with the
profile.  If they aren't on the system you are on..well guess what you can't
run them. Java just happens to be one of these things.

JK

--
Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services