[The Daily Planet] "Playboys and Princesses"

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:13:07 -0400

"Playboys and Princesses"
Selene Prince, Rex Stewart, and Connor Hawke.

Rex sat there watching his best friend stab at the cherry tomato on her plate and trying not to laugh. Selene had been all doe eyed ever since she’d gotten back from Gotham. Reaching out he took the poor tortured lunch out from in front of her and then called out her name again. She hadn’t heard him the last three times. Finally he picked up a napkin, balled it up, and threw it at her.

“Huh.. What?” Selene asked as she blinked.

Rex laughed. “I’ve been trying to get your attention for the last ten minutes.”

Selene blushed. “Sorry. What were you saying?”

“I was asking how your date with Jason went Friday night.” He asked her yet again.

She blushed, having completely zoned out of the conversation. Then she felt bad. She’d finally gotten Jason White’s attention, but rather then thinking about him, her mind was remembering her kiss with Green Arrow. “It didn’t. We managed to make it through coffee before he had to go to the paper. Something about a system crash and losing his work. He said he‘d call and we‘d try again.”

“So if the date was a bust what’s with the dopy look?” The broad shouldered young man asked, a bright knowing smile on his face.

Selene rolled his eyes. “I didn’t say it was a bust. We had coffee, Jason’s great, he’s cute, and sweet, even funny.”

Rex was about to tease her but didn’t get a chance. From across the cafeteria he caught sight of someone trying to get his attention. Standing he let the young man see him, then waved him over.

“Hey Stewart.” The handsome young man called out.

“Hey Hawke.” Rex replied. He smiled when the tall blonde, green eyed, young man came to stand next to the table.

Selene looked up and nodded a slight greeting as she took him in. He was maybe a head taller, blonde hair, green eyes, well built. All in all not bad looking. He wore causal, yet designer clothes, and that god awful cologne that smelled good in moderation, but smelled worse then Hades in excess. This one was just barely managing moderation.

“Hey man your just in time to meet my best friend.” Rex said with a smile. “Connor Hawke, this is Selene Prince. Selene, my pal, Connor Hawke. He‘s staying with me for a couple of days.”

“Nice to you meet you.” Connor said with a practiced smile.
Selene gave her best out in public smile as she accepted his handshake. “Nice to meet you, Connor.”

Without being asked too, Connor sat at their table as he grinned. “I’d head you were a student here. It surprised me, to tell you the truth.”

“Oh and why is that?” Selene asked as she pulled her salad back in front of her, finally spearing the cherry tomato. Something about this guy ruffed her feathers, and she wasn’t sure what it was.

“Well, no disrespect to Rex here, but I wouldn’t have thought someone of your status would attended a school like Met. U.” Conner replied as he leaned back in his chair. “Given who you are I’d have thought you’d have gone to one of the Ivy league schools, or one of the Oxbridge schools, someplace in Europe even.”

That caused a delicate dark brow to raise, and pricing blue eyes to narrow. “My status?” She asked before adding, “Who exactly am I Mr. Hawke?”

Conner gave her a dazzling smile, “The prettiest princess to grace the media since your mother.” His smile grew as he locked eyes with her. “Princess Selene of the Amazons, heir to the Themyscirian throne, Envoy to the Themyscirian Embassy. Not someone you’d normally find gracing the academic halls of Metropolis University.”

For some reason that really pissed her off. “None of that has any baring on my education. Metropolis offers the courses I want, it’s a good school and leads to the paths I wish to take.”

“Which would be?” Conner asked as he continued to look at her. He had to admit she was gorgeous, even in jeans and a Gotham Knights t-shirt.

“A writer.” Rex answered for her. “I keep trying to convince her to join me over in the History department but she refuses.”

Selene gave her friend a genuine smile. “I told you, it’s hard to learn history here. I’ve learned to much from people who were there, to taken most people here seriously. Though I’ve meet a few professors that do have an honest respect for the truth.”

Rex laughed. “Connelly not being one of them.”

The girl huffed indignantly. “Arrogant blowhard.”

“They don’t have English departments at Harvard?” Connor asked.

She finally realized what was bothering her about this guy. He was a jerk. “If you wanted to be a freelance writer, a reporter perhaps, and you had the chance to be where some of the best were, where would you be?”

“Out there,” He cocked his head towards a window. “I’m not much of the college guy myself. I rather live life then study about it.”

“Then what in Gaea ’s name are you doing here?” She asked him bluntly. She’d admit he was handsome, but he wasn’t anything like Jason, or even Green Arrow. The slightest thought of them both sent Selene’s mind into a whole new direction. How in Aphrodite’s name could she possibility find them both attractive? Was this sensation normal? Jason applied to Selene with his down-to-Earth-ness, but Green Arrow tugged and played at the part of her that was Wonder Girl. This was definitely something she wished she could talk to her mother about, but she couldn’t. Maybe she’d talk to Barbara, the woman was filling in a lot lately in the maternal confident role.

Connor’s grin never faltered as he replied, “Crashing at Rex’s. I go where I wanna go, when I wanna go.”

“You’ve no responsibly what so ever?” She asked with a huff.

“I wouldn’t say that.” Connor said.

Rex laughed. “At least not yet. Mister pretty boy playboy here gets a lot of leeway cause his Dad’s loaded.”

“I see.” Selene said with all the airs this blonde playboy obviously expected.

This time Conner laughed. “Not a fan of rich boys, Princess?”

“Not a fan of smug playboys who should have grown up by now.” Selene replied, not missing a beat.

Rex blinked as he looked between his two friends and then held up a hand to stop the snipes. “Ok you two knock it off.”

Gracefully rising to her feet Selene glared at Connor before looking at Rex and offering a soft smile. “I have a study group to get too. Thanks for lunch, I’ll call you later.”

“Um sure.” Rex replied as he watched his friend leave.

Connor put an arm around Rex’s shoulder and laugh. “Charming young woman ya got there, Rex.”

“She is, you were pushing her buttons.” Rex replied.

“What can I say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” The blonde laughed. Rex rolled his eyes. “I remember Ollie being a pain in the ass, but not an all out jerk.”

“Says you.” Connor laughed as they got to their feet. “Just ask Dinah, she knows how big a jerk he can be.” He smirked as he followed his friend out of the cafeteria and then out of the building. “Think she’d have dinner with me?”

“Dinah? Sure why not she’s a gluon for punishment.” Red snorted. “Plus, you can get your hands on Ollie’s chili, and she’s a suck for Ollie’s chili.”

“No, I meant the pretty princess.” Conner looked over his shoulder then smirked.

Rex looked at him as if he’d lost his head. “You gotta death wish?”

“She’s just a girl, Rex, how dangerous could she be?”

Rex shook his head. “You have no idea, Connor, trust me.”