[The Daily Planet] "In the Heat of a Snowy Night"

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:58:36 -0400

"In the Heat of a Snowy Night."
Wonder Girl and Green Arrow

Maybe she was young and naïve, maybe she didn’t understand the ways of Man’s World, but she had a feeling that even years from now when she was older, had been here longer, she still wouldn’t understand the appeal and pull of drugs. Why would anyone want to distort their minds that way? As she crouched on the roof above the alley she made a mental note to discus this with Barbara. Sadly, what she did understand, what she was becoming more and more familiar with was man’s need to prey on his fellow man. She could feel her blood heat as she watched the thugs approach the jittery looking boy who appeared to be younger then even herself. What had happened in this boy’s life to draw him into this web of existence? What made it so bad that he wanted to numb it away by shoving a needle into his arm? What made the two much larger goons think they had a right to push their poison onto people? To take such control over their lives?

Blue eyes sparkled as they narrowed. Wonder Girl watched closely, waiting until just the right moment. Reaching up she activated her comm link and in a whisper she knew would be picked up by the high tech mic she told Oracle she was going in. Straightening, she smiled when the reply came back to be careful. Her soft smile, turned into more of a snarling smirk as she stepped off the roof and floated down slowly towards her prey. Mentally, she laughed. Prey; she was starting to sound like Huntress.

“You got the money Johnny boy?” One thug asked.

The boy’s shaking hand reached into his pocket and then pulled out a fist full of bills. “It’s…it’s all I could get.”

The second thug snatched it and then laughed. “This ain’t enough.”

“P..p..please.” The boy’s voice shook as badly as his hands. “I..I. need..”

“No,” Wonder Girl said from above them. “You don’t need that.”

The two goons looked up wide eyed. “It’ Wonder Woman!”

Wonder Girl rolled her eyes. She didn’t look anything like her mother in her custom. She was in black leather for Hera’s sake, not a red, white, and blue bathing suit. “Sorry boys, you’re not luckily enough for it to be Wonder Woman. See, she’d simply tie you up and turn you in.” She smirked a little more. “I’m gonna kick your asses first.”

As if on cue the thugs pulled out their guns. “Get the bitch!”

“Take cover!” Wonder Girl ordered the kid before deflecting the bullets that were now coming at her fast and heavy. “Is that all you got?” She asked once the men’s guns had gone empty. “Now lets dance.”

Two street thugs with the combine brain power of a slug wasn’t really a challenge, but busting a few heads wasn’t her only reason for stopped the deal. With one thug out cold at her feet, Wonder Girl had the second pressed up against the brick wall of the alley. His feet dangling as she held him in place by the hold she had on his shirt. “You can’t lie to me,” She hissed. Truth be told she had no idea if she had her mother’s gift for drawing the truth from people, but this guy didn’t know that. “Who are you working for?”

“I..I..I..” The guy stammered.

“I can go at this all night, Carlos, can you say the same?” She asked as she pulled him away from the wall and then slammed him against it again. She was careful with her strength, she didn’t want to hurt him just make him talk. “Who do you work for? Who gives you the crap your peddling on the streets? All I need is a name and then you and Brain here can spend the rest of this cold, snowy, Gotham night in a nice warm cell.”

“Sa..sam..Samson.”

A dark brow lifted as blue eyes narrowed. “Is that a first or a last name?”

“I..I..don’t know..it’s all I got. I swear.”

She believed him, and hoped it would be enough. “Thanks, now go to sleep.” Pressing her thumb to the pressure point on his forehead, Wonder Girl knocked him out cold. “Did you get that? Ok, then I’m gonna dump these too off and call it a night. I should be…” A shadow caught her attention from the corner of her eye and she smiled. “I might be a little late. I’ll check in later, WG out.”

Reaching up she cut off the comm before Oracle could ask what was going on. Turning towards the back of the alley, she pulled a card from her jacket and held it out to the kid. “Go here, ask for Doctor Leslie. She’ll help you. Don’t let me catch you out here again, it’s not safe, and there are people out there who’ll help. Alright?”

The kid nodded, his hands trembling.

She gave him a bright smile before going over to the thugs and picking them up by the scruffs of their shirts. She flew them to the closest police station where she left them bound to a street lamp. Then she went in search of the shadow she’d seen. She flew high over the city, searching each nook and cranny, yet being very careful to avoid certain dark figures. Finally she spotted him, standing on the old draw bridge that stretched over the Sprang river. She smiled when she noticed him watching her, and at the relaxed way he stood there, leaning on his long bow. Dropping so she was eye level with him, she floated there with a smirk on her lips. “You’re still here.”

“And you can fly.” He teased.

She laughed. “Of course I can, I’m a Wonder aren’t I?”

“I was starting to wonder, given the last few times we’ve meet you’ve been using a grapple.” He replied, his gaze roaming freely over her form.

“Well,” She said as she floated a little further away without realizing it, so he could see more of her. “When in Gotham do as the Bats do.”

“You’re no Bat.” He said as his gaze finally came back to meet hers. “You’re a Bird, one of Oracle’s.”

She smirked at him again. What was it about him that made her feel this way? Playful, sexual. Was it just part of her need to separate herself from her mother’s image? Or was it more? Was it truly her nature? “You sound awfully sure of that.”

“I am sure, I’m absolutely positive.” He smirked back at her.

“And why is that?” She asked coyly.

“Your comment about little birdies being allowed to hunt in Gotham, the amount of time you spend with Huntress and Black Canary, and the fact that you talk to yourself an awful lot. So either your talking to the voices in your head, which means your crazy as a loon, or your talking to the voice in your ear, which would be Oracle.” His smirked grew into a grin when she smiled and blushed. “See what I didn’t know was that not only are you one of Oracle’s, your also under her protection.”

“She takes care of her own.” Wonder Girl replied as she came closer to him. When she was mere inches from him she involuntarily licked her lips before asking, “Why would she need to protect me from you?”

Reaching out he fingered one of her raven curls as he explained, “She doesn’t, but clearly there’s someone out there she does though, because when I asked around I heard there wasn’t a new Wonder Girl, that no one’s used that mantel since Olympia. Then I got a very clear warning to back off from asking to many questions. So who are you hiding from? Wonder Woman?”

Fear mixed with a bit of a thrill, causing her heart to speed up a little more. “Who said I was hiding? I’m still in training, not ready for the big debut. The name’s a lot to live up to. You understand that, don’t you Green Arrow?”

He smirked. “Oh yeah, I understand.”

For several second the only sound filling the air was the river below them, but then Wonder Girl asked, “Why are you still in Gotham? I thought you finished your business when you nailed Defranco for that murder in Star City.”

“That’s all wrapped up, but I still got some unfinished business to take care of.”

She looked down at his hand in her hair and then up at his colorless eyes. Strangely enough she had no desire to take his mask off, to see who was under the costume. It was part of her attraction to him, not knowing who he really was, just knowing what he was. She licked her lips again as she asked, “And what would that be?”

His answer was to pull her close and kiss her.

Her senses were bombarded by sensation. The feel of his arms going around her waist. The feel of her arms around his neck. The cold wetness of the snow landing on her, the rush of the river, the smell of him, the taste of him. It all mixed with the rush of the night spent prowling the streets of Gotham. She was drowning and floating all at once. Then she heard it, the commotion on the docks. Pulling back, breathless and warm despite the cold she focus on the noise.

“That bad?” He asked, just as out of breath.

Wonder Girl shook her head. “Trouble on the docks.”

A golden brow raised this time. “You have enchanted hearing? I thought that was a Super thing.”

She laughed, “It’s a Wonder thing too.” Pulling out of his arms, she floating over the river again. “You coming or what?”

“Oh yeah, I owe someone an ass kicking for this.” Pulling an arrow from his quiver, Green Arrow shot off a jump line and smiled. “Lead the way Wonder Girl, cause tonight the city’s yours.”

Wonder Girl laughed. “I won’t tell Oracle you said that.”

“Oracle? I thought this was Batman’s city?”

Wonder Girl smirked at that. “She just lets him think that.”

She knew it couldn’t be anything major other wise Oracle would have known and she’d have been sent there with Huntress, but trouble was trouble and as long as she was there keeping the city safe was her responsibility. Scanning the area where the noise was coming from, she easily spotted it. Goons trying to make off with what looked like a create from a private warehouse. When she got closer she noticed it wasn’t just any private warehouse but a customs warehouse. Normally she’d have called this in to the clocktower, but the situation was demanding immediate attention. Landing on the van that some of the men were loading, she crouched down and smiled. “Strange hour of the night to be picking up a delivery isn’t fellas?”

“Oh shit it’s…” The man paused. “Who the hell are you?”

She really couldn’t wait until she was out in the public. She’d been called Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Huntress, Black Canary, and even Robin. It wasn’t that she minded, she had great respect for all of them, but she had a name of her own damnit.

“That my good man would be Wonder Girl.” Green Arrow announced just before an arrow hit the create and then sent out an electrical pulse that made them all let go and stagger back.

She had no idea what was in the create so with the speed given to her and her mother by Hermes, she grabbed for it before it hit the ground. Picking it up easily, she realized why it was taking six men to move it. “What the hell is this?” She asked as she flew it back to the warehouse. Then she heard the gun shots, and up came her bracelets.

By the time they’d finished there were unconscious goons littering the docks, her heart was pounding from the fight, and whatever was in the create was safe. After tying up the last of her goons, she looked up to see Green Arrow tying the last of his. Her mind was a swirl of urges and impulses as he stood and headed towards her. She somehow managed to keep her voice in check as she reached up to turn on her comm. She quickly reported everything to Oracle as Green Arrow came towards her, her body instinctively began to move backwards. “Hmm? Yeah, I’m fine, just, um winded. Right, I’ll be there in a, in awhile. Wonder Girl out.”

She’d just managed to turn off the comm as her back hit something solid. When he was in arms reach she grabbed him, pulling him against her and kissing him fiercely. The added adrenaline from the fight mixed in with everything from before and she could feel herself reaching a headiness she’d never felt before, not even on those nights when their mock combat had sent her and Artemis into a frenzied lust. Their kisses were hard, their hands pawing at each other. This time when she heard the sirens she didn’t stop, she lifted them off the ground, stopping the kiss only long enough to find a place to go.

“The roof of the Prescott.” He breathed into her ear, not even filching at the fact that he was in the air and the only thing keeping him there was this woman.

Nodding, she headed for the hotel. Her knees barely kept her from sinking to the ground when they landed. As soon as they were both solid on their feet they were at each other again. She felt herself being pressing up against the brick chimney. She could barely think, her body moving and reacting on it’s own. When she felt his strong, warm hands, his callous fingers running over her shoulder and breast under her jacket she had a moment of clarity. Pushing him back a little, but not enough to dislodge his lips from her neck she breathed out, “It’s still early, Huntress…”

“Can find her own way of spending the rest of the night.” He said, his voice low and husky.

Wonder Girl bit her lip against the shiver that ran over her skin. “Patrolling, she could still be out patrolling, so could He.”

Green Arrow understood and nodded. Last thing he wanted was any more interruptions, or a cross bow bolt or batarang in his back. In a heated and frantic entanglement he somehow managed to get them to the stairs and then to his room. He wasn’t even thinking at this point that he’d brought her to his hotel room, that she could find out who he was, he simply wanted to taste her, hold her, feel her surrounding him. Weeks of flirting, of watching her in action, of admiring her passion and deduction wasn’t about to let him stop now.

Once they were inside and the door was closed, Wonder Girl let go. She tore at his jerkin, at the straps that kept his quiver in place, at his shirt and pants and boots. She let him slide her jacket off, then her bustier and chest armor. She shivered with excitement as the cool air washed over her now bare breasts. She smiled at the smirk on his face when she made easy work of her pants, which looked as if they’d been spray painted on her. As they crashed onto his bed, him still in his mask and nothing else, and her in her tiara, she suddenly felt venerable. Maybe she should have taken Babs up on that eye mask thing, she thought before her world became nothing but raw sensations. His weight on top of her, his breath on her skin, the taste of his neck, her shoulder, the feel of his hair pouring through her fingers, his hardness pressing against her, then inside her. She held back the gasp and hiss from the moment of sharp pain, which was then replaced by the slow build of release.

Hours later, as the sun began to creep in through the window, her mind still foggy from sleep and sex Wonder Girl moaned. She was sore, and for a moment she thought she was home in bed in Barbara’s guest room. The sound of her cell phone pulled her out of her haze a little more. Reaching over the side of the bed she fished around until she found her jacket, pulling the phone from the inside pocket. She blinked and rubbed her eyes as she tried to get her vision to clear as she looked at the small lit screen. Barbara? Why was Barbara calling her cell phone when she was right down the… Holy mother of Eros. As the theme song to the Addams Family kept playing in her hand, she closed her eyes and held her breath. Sure enough there was a warm body behind her. Swallowing against a suddenly dry throat she hit the button on the side of the phone to stop it’s ringing, then dropped it to the floor where it landed on her jacket.

“That thing’s been ringing all night.”

Wonder Girl… Selene, flinched. “Sorry?”

Green Arrow laughed, then pulled her against him. “No worries, I’m sure someone missed you last night.”

“Yeah.” She said as she sighed, snuggling into his warmth. His body felt good, and hers was still buzzing and tingling. “I need to get going.”

“I know.” He replied, and then smiled. “I’m going to have to spend more time in Gotham.”

She laughed, titled her head up, and kissed him. “I might have to come scoop out Star City.”

“Wonders always welcome.” He replied.

With a smile, and a glimmer in her eyes she got out of bed and got dressed. She needed a shower, other wise there’d be no hiding where she was, and given the fact she’d been gone all night without checking in, she didn’t want to add to the hot water she was in. The fifty-two missed calls on her cell, told her that her mentor was less then a happy camper, so as she pulled out of one last kiss before heading for the window she decided to stop by Dinah’s for a shower and maybe an alibi.

As he watched her fly away Green Arrow smiled. What was it about that girl that stirred his insides? He had no clue, but it was bound to be fun trying to figure it out.