[texbirds] eBird records - Magnificent Frigatebird this month

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:30:00 -0400 (EDT)

I think that now I can understand why some people can feel frustrated when
reporting sightings on eBird - no, I am not (frustrated, well maybe a
little but  not about reviewing my records so that part is not belonging to
this
post) as  practically  I only enter a few records and mostly for my own
purpose.  Sometimes I do enter other sightings when I think they might be
interesting to  others and perhaps some might search for those birds and have
interest to look  for them during that time as part of birds' seasonal movement
studies.  Recently, I entered MAFR record from Galveston seen on March 22 as
I do not plan  to keep it in my notes. This record does not show on the map
when searching.  eBird is accepting some weird sightings that are shown
without even reviewing  but in case like MAFR it almost seems like an insult to
question its ID. What it  can be confused with? Spoonbill? Swallow taking
too much steroids?  I  realize that this part of the year it is a rare
sighting but this only should  stimulate reviewers to have it listed, IMHO.  It
is
not even something  unheard of - a few March records are known from the
past. This sighting has no  importance to me so why to bother in the future? My
other entered records that  are only for my own use so I do not care if
they are showing on the map or not.  BTW I would not even try to enter
something I am not sure I can ID correctly;  like some flycatchers etc.I really
like
the eBird idea but it should be tuned to  work better.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)