[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk at Roy Guerrero Park, Travis County

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:25:43 -0500

Arman Moreno and I birded Roy Guerrero park this afternoon, and we were
surprised to find an adult Zone-tailed Hawk. We first spotted the bird
through the hackberry canopy as it flew over low. Even through the trees,
the white tail band and yellow feet were clear. We ran out back onto the
trail in more open area and we say it flying away to the east and it
disappeared over the treeline. About 5 minutes later we saw the bird again,
flying back over to the west. We were able to get pictures and much better
look during this second pass. We were about a half a mile down stream from
the mouth of the small creek and sandy beach area, and we saw the bird from
the trail that runs parallel to the river.
here's a picture of the ZTHA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/9865014925/in/photostream/
Other good birds were two Tricolored Herons, a Black-crowned Night-Heron,
and my FOF Eastern Wood-Pewee.
Sam Fason,
Austin