[texbirds] My two cents

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:38:25 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I have read most of the posts that pertained to a recent sighting on the Upper
Texas Coast and, as some of you probably suspected would, sooner or later,
happen I have two things to say.  I can't resist poking bears but I will poke
this one very gently.

Item the first: Isn't it wonderful that we all have a pursuit that so fully
engages our passions?  Insults and disrespect aside, there was quite a bit to
be learned from many of these posts and what impressed me most was how much, to
put it simply, we all care.  We birders are a passionate lot.  It is one of the
few things I liked about that recent movie starring Owen Wilson, Jack Black,
and Steve Martin - many of the facts were, well, fishy but the passion was not
... and we birders get far too little credit for the strength of our passion.

Item the second: For my part, I always have and always will provide the
location of a sighting unless I can't.  If I can't I will take the minute it
takes to provide a reason, acceptable to the majority or not, why I am not
reporting the location.  It takes less time than it took me to type this e-mail
and it is well worth the effort.  If nothing else, the vast majority of
texbirders respect my inclinations and the few who don't can be dealt with
quietly ... and privately.

By the by, the highlight of my day was a Merlin, originally spotted by Steve
Collins, at Lake Six in Lubbock this morning.  A bolt from the blue, right on
time, and kudos to Steve for having the confidence to call the bird while my
increasingly enfeebled brain tried to wrap itself around the word 'Merlin'.

Anthony 'Fat Tony; Hewetson; Lubbock.