[texbirds] Window Strikes possible solution

  • From: "Tillman, Jane F" <mljt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:01:16 +0000

A National Wildlife Federation Habitat Steward, Jane Baxter Lynn, shared this
solution with me, and gave me permission to post it.
I have copied her email below, and put 3 photos on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73582087@N07/10172276033/

"Wanted to share with you the simple, low cost "No Kill birds" solution my
husband Frank Lynn has figured out for our house windows.

During our Habitat Steward class we talked a lot about how to protect birds
from windows as it is such a major killer of birds in urban environments. Some
of us had tried all sorts of things, with limited success. We have two large
windows at the back of our house overlooking where the birds feed. Sadly,
despite my best efforts, we had regular incidents of birds flying into them.

Knock on wood, since he installed his 'device' five or so months ago there
haven't been any casualties. He used nylon screening material from Home Depot,
mounted it onto wooden dowels and hung them in front of the windows by small
chains to hooks in the roof overhang. At the bottom I sewed in weights to keep
the material straight. An added benefit is that they aren't really noticeable
so aren't an eye sore." Also, Jane said people were wondering if the sewn- in
weights were damaging her windows and she said no.

Of course, American Bird Conservancy has solutions too.
http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/collisions/pdf/collisions_flyer.pdf

Jane Tillman
Austin