[texbirds] Weekly bird census, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 15:16:22 -0600

I listened to the weatherman and he predicted heavy rain for Tuesday morning so
I made the decision to not go out and do the census, something that I rarely
ever do. Instead I decided to go out today. It was a much better day weather
wise. It started out calm and cool but later in the morning the wind picked up
from the north. The refuge continues to be excellent for many species of ducks.
It is difficult to make accurate estimates because of the distance from the
shore and the large amount of Smartweed. There were at least 3000 Northern
Pintails and 3000 Redheads.  At least another 2500 unidentified ducks were
present along with the other species identified in the eBird report. 2 mature
Bald Eagles were present and we watched as one caught a duck. We had quite a
few FOS sparrows with great looks at Swamp, Song, Lincoln's, White-crowned and
Harris's sparrows. We finished the morning with 71 species plus 5 other taxa.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S20459496
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer at Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at