[texbirds] Warbler Woods Letters

  • From: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 06:50:52 -0600

One person put together some of the great comments from the letters to read
into the record. There were so many and this is just a few. Without this, we
couldn't have won, it took an organized motion of email and speakers. Some in
the audience were so inspired by the speakers that they stood up and talked
about how rezoning is bad too!

in the words of some of the people who have sent you letters.

Al Batt, a writer, cartoonist, Bird Watchers Digest magazine columnist, and
radio talk-show host writes to you from Minnesota.  “Why would a Minnesotan
write on such a possible change?” he asks. “I write because I am a birder.  I
am an avid one who birds Texas regularly.  Close to the property in question is
a birding hotspot called Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary.  Thousands of people
visit it each year.”

What makes this place so special, anyway?  Why do the birds and people come?

Susan Heath of the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory writes that “Warbler Woods has
the largest intact tract of wooded habitat within 400 miles of Guadalupe
County.  It is a heavily visited resting and refueling habitat for…migratory
birds that cross the Gulf of Mexico each spring and return each fall,” and it’s
because of this that it is included in the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory’s Site
Partner Network.

Byron Stone, a physician in Austin, explains that "Birds stop there because of
the many oak trees and other trees, shrubs and plants that provide cover and
food for them during their physically arduous migration. Birders from San
Antonio and Austin can make the relatively short trip to Warbler Woods during
spring or fall migration and see large numbers of migrating birds that would
otherwise require a trip to the coast to see. Birders from other parts of the
country who visit Texas will often stop at Warbler Woods when they are
traveling from one part of the state to another because the property offers
such an excellent opportunity for nature observation."

  Jim Hailey, the President of the Texas Ornithological Society writes,
“Warbler Woods is a privately owned and managed nature preserve shared with the
public upon the request.”  It is an “asset of nearly immeasurable values,
economic, environmental, and intangible.”

Jodell Miller, from La Vernia Texas, writes that Warbler Woods is recognized by
the Birding Community as a valuable resource for studying birds, banding birds,
and recording the activities of rare species.

Lynne Schaffer from Wimberly, Texas, writes that “The ecological importance of
that tract of land cannot be overstated.  Not only is it a vital part of the
migratory path, but it is crucial as a refuge/sanctuary for local wildlife.  In
addition, Warbler Woods offers many educational and recreational opportunities
to the public…”

Take, for example, Cibolo resident Letticia Sever.  She writes that Warbler
Woods is a place she visits frequently with her family.  She takes her sons
there to help them earn pins like Forester, Naturalist, and Outdoorsman for Cub
Scouts and Boy Scouts.  She writes, “This bird sanctuary is the only such place
in our area that we can use as an educational tool for our scouts.  There is no
other land area like Warbler Woods anywhere nearby that scouts and school
children can use educationally.  Bulldozing and building…nearby runs off the
wildlife that we want our children to see in their natural habitat.”

Susan Hughes, executive editor of Green Spaces Alliance of South Texas, writes
that not only is Warbler Woods important for the well-being of birds, but it is
important for young people.  She writes that every year Warbler Woods hosts
“groups of students who are introduced to this pearl of habitat in Central
Texas.”  She emphasizes how remarkable it is to see the influence of Warbler
Woods on young people, especially the wonder of finding such a place so close
to home.”

Indeed, the Coordinator for Green Space’s “Picture Your World Youth Photography
Program” writes: “I frequently teach nature photography workshops for kids and
teens at the Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary.  This is truly a popular destination
for our participant, as we have so few sanctuaries devoted to Audubon Studies.
It would be a shame to have this special place impacted by further development.
 Thank you for your consideration of my comments.”

Patsy and Tom Inglet from San Antonio write that every year they bring the San
Antonio Young BirdersClub to explore the property, watch the birds, and perform
service-learning activities with Susan and Don.  Our San Antonio Young Birders
Club has visited every year to explore the property, watch the birds, and
perform service-learning activities under Don and Susan’s kind guidance. One
12-year-old in particular worked with the Schaezlers to complete a project in
competition for the American Birding Association’s Young Birder of the Year
just this year.
Finally, in encouraging the Commission to recommend voting against the zoning,
Dr. Ted Floyd, the editor of Birding Magazine, writes, “I've lived in many
places in my life, and everywhere I've lived I've been impressed by the
importance of a local natural area for watching wildlife, breathing fresh air,
and just enjoying peace and quiet. For so many residents, such a natural
resource is priceless. It can also be quite valuable.  In several places where
I've lived, preserving a natural area has had beneficial impacts related
property values, tourism, and philanthropy.”

These are just examples of the letters from our local, regional, and national
neighbors.

Susan Schaezler
Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz
Texas Land Steward Winner

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at