[texbirds] Various.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:20:46 -0500

 I needed to make a quick run over to Bastrop State Park this morning.  I
was only there for a bit but had 5 Mississippi Kites in a dead pine, two
singing Yellow-throated Vireos, a Summer Tanager and of course
Black-and-whites
Came back to the house to a yard filled with Nashville Warbler song...When
I checked the cards from one of my critter cams yesterday there was a photo
showing 8 of them in the same water container/bath.   A N. Parula and
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are also singing...Still have a R. B. Nuthatch.
Picked up 3 more yard birds for the year yesterday, 2 by critter cam.

LOts of Hutton's Vireos seem to be about...A few days ago I clearly heard a
Hutton's Calling on my property.  A new yard bird so I had to track it
down.  Then all I heard were White-eyeds,.  Then suddenly I actually saw
the White-eyed do the Hutton's call ....So this morning, in fact just
moments ago,  I hear this again...So is it real or is it Memorex?  I have
had WEVIs doing Bell's numerous times.  Have to wonder where it is picking
up on Hutton's...Hopefully very close by.

Sorry I have not replied to the critter cam folks.  I figured it would be
easier just to send a couple of photos of the setup as they are worth 1000
words.  All cams are facing north or into shade.  Yes those tiny things
that hold water are by far the most preferred by birds here especially when
it is dry..  I have tried them elsewhere and using different containers
with less luck...Photos at http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com

  Also several continue to write me about the first line being cut off on
my notes.  I have no clue why this is or how to fix it other than just
trying to remember to insert a line every time I write an email....What a
pain.  Sorry.

361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas