[texbirds] Varied Thrush no longer at Christmas Mountains Oasis.

  • From: carolynohl@xxxxxxx
  • To: TEXBIRDS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:04:53 -0500 (EST)

Birders are always welcome, but don't come expecting to see the thrush. In fact
there aren't any interesting birds here right now. I dismantled the temporary
feeder when it didn't come in after two hours of watching during it's normal
feeding time. Yesterday at 8 AM it did a few minutes of one of its
vocalizations, so I knew the time was getting near. I'm sure its visit will
always stand out among the highlights of the oasis.

In May there will be a Christmas Mountains Research Symposium.

Christmas Mountains Research Symposium
May 13-15, 2013
Terlingua Ranch Headquarters, Brewster County, Texas

The objective of the Christmas Mountains Research Symposium is to increase the
public and scientific understanding of the ecology, geology, culture, and
history of the Chihuahuan Desert Ecosystem, spanning West Texas and Mexico on
either side of the Rio Grande.

The two-day symposium will highlight research by students and faculty from
universities in the Texas State University System, and welcomes contributions
from researchers from other universities, federal, and state agencies, as well
as residents of the region who have investigated various aspects of the
region’s ecology, geology, culture and history.

Email me for more information
Carolyn Ohl-Johnson
Christmas Mountains
Big Bend area