[texbirds] Rough-legged Hawk at San Luis Pass

  • From: "R&K Lookingbill" <rklookingbill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:15:58 -0600

Hello Texbirders,

The Rough-Legged Hawk (RLHA) that is present on West Galveston Island near
San Luis Pass has been reported as a female.  However, after reviewing some
nice photos of the bird, it is apparent that this bird is in juvenile
plumage.  All RLHA juveniles - male and female - resemble adult females, and
the sex of the bird cannot be determined by plumage until its first molt
later this year.  Adult birds are sexually dimorphic, and sex of adults is
easily determined (adult males are grayer usually with several dark tail
bands of varying widths, females are brown with a single side dark tail
band).  Juveniles can only be sexed by measurement (usually).

Characteristics to look at on this bird showing it to be juvenile include:
The dark terminal tail band is "smudgy" - the line between the dark and
light areas is not distinct.  An adult female would have a crisp, sharp edge
between the dark and light areas of the tail.  Also, the dark tail band is
not apparent on the underside of the tail.  An adult female would show the
distinct dark band on the underside of the tail.  Further, the under side of
the wing for an adult female would show a wide, distinct dark band on the
trailing edge, which this bird does not have.

So, the age and sex of this RLHA is a juvenile (second year, in banding
lingo) of unknown sex.

We spent the month of January in the Mission Valley of western Montana, two
years in a row, studying this species.  There were literally hundreds of
RLHA in the valley at that time.  (And, yes, it was cold!)

Best Regards,
Robert & Kay Lookingbill
Lake Jackson, TX