[texbirds] Urban Turkey Vultures

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 13:00:12 -0600

For the last few years there have been wintering Turkey Vultures in the
area around the University of Houston. This is a very urban setting inside
the loop of Houston just a mile from Downtown.
While watching one at lunch today I started to wonder what these birds are
eating? road kill is not very common in this area, and it gets pickup up
pretty quick.I've never seen these birds eating anything. Has anyone else
seen Turkey Vultures feeding in a setting like this?

I wonder are these birds just wandering into the area from much farther
away and not spending much time in the area?

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX