[texbirds] Re: Urban Turkey Vultures

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 10:02:25 -0600

There is a large colony of Turkey Vultures that roost on a tall power
transmission tower on IH-37 in Corpus Christi in the Annaville area, and
some that roost at Pollywog Pond as well.  I've also often wondered what
they eat.  Maybe they are just very communal and range far and wide during
the day to find roadkill, plowingkill etc. and return at dusk to their
dormitory.

My Smithsonian Handbook says they will eat most anything and cites instances
when they have been seen eating pumpkins.  And, you know, it was just
Halloween and those pumpkin graveyards are probably pretty full.....

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi