[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:36:43 -0500

Hopefully this will be the last bird census of the year with no access to
Wildlife Drive. A lot of shorebird species are present but we could only
report those visible from the visitor center. Nevertheless we did have very
closeup looks at 10 Buff-breasted Sandpipers which were feeding just in front
of the headquarters building. There we also saw 3 Tricolored Herons, 2
Semipalmated Plovers, Stilt Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Upland Sandpipers,
and 1 Wilson's Phalarope. Parts of Wildlife Drive should be open next week and
possibly we will be able to get to the other side of the refuge via Bennett.
There is major damage to Wildlife Drive by Taylor Marsh just past the entrance
to Egret pad, which can not be repaired until the lake level recedes even more,
so there will not be any thru passage there until repairs can be made. At Dead
Woman Pond we had a couple of Red-Headed Woodpeckers and just past there we saw
a couple of Yellow Warblers and heard a Pileated Woodpecker. Blue-winged Teal
are in in good numbers. On the road to Meadow Pond, which is now full of water,
we saw a Loggerhead Shrike and heard a White-breasted Nuthatch.
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.