[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:17:55 -0500

We found 67 species of birds.  Standouts were the family of Blue-winged Teal
and the Reddish Egret which was first seen last Saturday.  We also saw young
Wood Ducks in Mineral Marsh and a Pied-billed Grebe sitting on a nest. They are
pumping water into the marshes which should make for some good summer
shorebirds.  An even dozen Red-headed Woodpeckers is also quite good.
Canada Goose  69
Wood Duck  8
Mallard  14
Blue-winged Teal  11     First record of nesting Blue-winged Teal that I am
aware of.
Northern Shoveler  1
Pied-billed Grebe  5     One incubating eggs.
Neotropic Cormorant  8
Great Blue Heron  16
Great Egret  90
Snowy Egret  35