[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:17:27 -0500

Another Tuesday of birding on the outskirts of the refuge as the flooding
continues. The outlook is not bright as the remnants of tropical storm Bill is
headed our way and we are forecast to receive heavy rains of 5" to possibly as
much as 8" or more in some locations. If that pans out Lake Texoma will
probably top the spillway again for the second time in less than a month. One
bright spot in all of this is that the Least Terns are attempting to use the
nesting platforms that the refuge personnel built for that purpose. There were
at least 3 pairs on the platforms today one of which was offering a fish to a
prospective mate. There were as many as 7 potential nest depressions noted on
the platforms by refuge personnel. Hopefully high winds from the tropical
storms will not mess that up. We finished the day with 60 species. We did see a
couple of American White Pelicans and got excellent looks at a Barred Owl
sitting on a low snag near the lake. There was an abundance of Painted Buntings
singing at almost every place we stopped.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S23932229
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at