[texbirds] Trans Pecos Hi-lights

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 18:44:10 -0700

Lawrence Wood Picnic Area:

-Williamson's Sapsucker
-Golden Eagle (grounded next to road one mile west)
-Montezuma Quail (HO by Greg Cook, I thankfully did not hear this lifer)

Balmorhea Cemetary:

-Green-tailed Towhee

Lake Balmorhea:

-Chukar (new feral species for the state?)
-Black Scoter (adult female)
-Common Merganser
-Ross's Geese (12+ flagged as rare)
-Canada Goose
-Cackling Geese (flock of 8 flagged as rare)
-Black-legged Kittiwake (seen by others, not me)

Red Bluff Reservoir:

Nothing like what I had read about.  Only public access was at south end, west
of dam.  High water meant no shoreline was even walkable.  I scoped thoroughly
and only notables were:

-Common Loon (x3)
-Common Goldeneye (best looks of the year, and lots of them)
-17 Greater Yellowlegs flagged as rare /shrug

I have no idea how to access the road across the dam. I couldn't tell if the
store was permanently shuttered or just for the weekend.

I had a year bird Prairie Falcon 20 feet into New Mexico:-(. It flew to ground
rather than crossing the road /drat

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at