[texbirds] Red-necked Phalarope at San Bernard NWR -- Yes Nov 29

  • From: John Whittle <johnawhittle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:32:07 -0500 (EST)

Jana and I refound the Red-necked Phalarope at San BernardNWR (Brazoria
County)at 3:30 p.m. this afternoon (Fri Nov29).  From a position exactly half
way(0.2 miles) between the viewing platform in the southeast corner of
MoccasinPond and the next sharp bend in the road, looking out perpendicular
from theroad towards the northwest, the phalarope was in the farthest out water
thatwas visible. It was visible for brief periods as it fed in that area along
withseveral Northern Shovelers and several Blue-winged Teal.

We found the bird on our third trip after about noon round the Moccasin loop
(including onewhere we spent some time walking along the road in that area).
About 2:30 p.m. we had a somewhat distant sub-adult Golden Eagle flying overthe
westnorthwest part of the refuge.

John A. Whittle
Nederland, Texas