[texbirds] The ire of an owl

  • From: "Fred Collins" <fcndc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:04:38 -0600

This afternoon I went to Harvey Laas' ranch in southern Waller County to
pick up some Barn Owl pellets he had collected for a class we will have next
week at Kleb Woods Nature Center. While there he and I went to his family
cemetery oak to check and see if the Great Horned Owls that live there were
nesting. Sure enough, in the bowl of this massive tree was a nest just as we
suspected. At the edge of the nest was a cast away egg. In the cup of the
nest below the mothers breast were two downy chicks somewhere in the 2-3
week old stage. It was a beautiful scene and the glare from the protective
mother was true ire.

Bird watching has its moments.

Fred Collins

Home on the prairie in Waller County Texas

      TOS Life Member

      HAS Advisory Board

      KPC Advisory Board

How to Sleep Like a Rock