[texbirds] Barrow's Goldeneye continues at Possum Kingdom Lake

  • From: "JimJones-FWAS" <jjones4fwas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:43:47 -0600

The Barrow's Goldeneye continues to be seen near the North D&D Loop boat
dock and picnic area today up at Possum Kingdom Lake.
I arrived at 1:30PM (2/21/13). The winds were heavy and out of the north,
causing whitecaps and 20 to 24" waves.

I really wasn't sure if the bird would be found today in this wind.

Another birder from Arlington was staked out near the boat dock at the
southwest end so I followed the road past the picnic area and sat near the
point of the peninsula at the northwest end of the recreation area.

By 2:40 we had both joined forces near the boat dock when the Barrow's
Goldeneye appeared straight west of us towards the green boat house with the
American Flag behind it. It gradually made its way north around the point
and then southeast into the cove at the north end of the recreation area.
This is the cove that others reported with the tall reed grass on the shore.

It stayed in this cove until 3:45 PM. Then it flew north and northeast until
it was out of our view.

If you view this area on Google Earth you will see there are several coves
over towards Costello Island.

(use FM 2951 and Park Rd 36 as your destination.. Then follow 2951 west to
D&D Loop)

The bird has been seen daily in the cove at North D&D Loop from reports I've
read on our Ft Worth Audubon website (www.fwas.org).

Oh, I noticed many of us call this D&D Loop Rd because of the maps. In
reality the sign at the entrance calls it the North D&D Recreation Area (or
something like that). So don't look for a road sign saying 'loop'.

Good birding!

Jim Jones

Bedford, TX