[texbirds] Re: Strange Featherless Cardinal

  • From: Marilyn Holloway <marilyn623@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "greglavaty@xxxxxxxxx" <greglavaty@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

I also photographed a similar male cardinal two weeks ago at Warbler Woods
which is very close to San Antonio.

Last spring in the Houston area, one Mallard duck of eight hatched without
feathers on the majority of his/her body. He survived for five weeks. It was
tough to watch him walking along the shore attempting to stay close to the
other hatchlings and adults as they swam in a small pond. He often cried,
begging them to come back to the shore. He usually didn't wander far into the
water, but I did observe him ackwardly (very ackwardly) cross the narrow pond
with the sibs twice in the face of danger. He was obviously scared based on the
sounds that errupted from him as he crossed the pond. I called him 'Harry'. He
seemed healthy despite no feathers except for some baby fuzz on his tail even
after five weeks. The other seven ducklings were healthy and grew up normal.
Harry was observed eating and running around the edges of the pond late one
evening but gone early the next morning. It was only a matter of time before a
predator caught him.

Is it possible that these birds suffer from the same problem?

Marilyn
East of Houston