[texbirds] Starr County

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:42:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Had a fantastic morning out at Salineno and Falcon State Park this
morning!  Got to Salineno at dawn and spent an hour there, with glorious
morning
light and wonderful, mild temperatures!  The target Red-billed  Pigeons flew
by after about 15 minutes, and while no Muscovies showed up, other
highlights included both Ringed and Green Kingfishers, a Gray Hawk, a  couple
of
Caspian Terns along with a small flock of Black Terns (my first for  that
site), and several Groove-billed Anis making a fuss across the way.  I  was
also
surprised to hear a Great Horned Owl hooting away!

Drove down the Dump Road after that in search of Black-tailed Gnatcatchers,
 and MAY have had a candidate, but he didn't give me a good look, and he
didn't  give the diagnostic hissing call (a recording of what he DID say is on
the photo  page, below), so I let that one go.  A lovely little
Black-throated Sparrow  sat up on a bush and sang, though, and a couple of
Cactus Wrens
duetted like a  couple of old Model T's starting up!  Upland Sandpipers
were flying  overhead in both places, as were Dickcissels.

The scale said I needed some exercise :-P, so once at Falcon SP I actually
hiked a couple of the nature trail accesses and picked up another target
bird, a  calling Ash-throated Flycatcher, while a scruffy but still stunning
Pyrrhuloxia  sat right up in the sun!  Stopping along the road in the car as
per usual  added a posing Roadrunner in the primitive camp area, and the
mystery of  absolutely no vehicles parked by the boat ramp on this fine Sunday
morning was  solved when I drove down by said boat ramp and saw how low the
water level  was!  Everyone was out by the shoreline and fishing FROM the
shore,  including egrets and terns, but the best was a resting flock of 14
Black  Skimmers out on a spit along with other terns, gulls, egrets, and
cormorants!  At least one Least Tern (no pun intended) was batting around
giving
its diagnostic call; evidently they're quite rare here as well.

The Butterfly Garden was nuts with butters--sulphurs of several species
were abundant, and old friends I hadn't seen in awhile included a Nysa
Roadside  Slipper, White-patched Skipper, Clytie Ministreak, and Common Mestra
(photo ops  this week sure made up for none last week)!!  Another Pyrrhuloxia
sang from  the shade at point blank range as well.  One last romp around the
picnic  area added a juvie Vermilion Flycatcher (was hoping for Daddy, but he
never  showed...)

Headed home after that with 65 species for the day!  Photos and  recordings
can be viewed here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/August/Starr%20
County.html

Two EBird lists follow:

Salineño (LTC 080), Starr, US-TX
Aug 11, 2013 7:15 AM - 8:55  AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.3 mile(s)
Comments:      Includes an hour vigil at Salineno plus the Dump Road
53 species
Plain  Chachalaca  2
Northern Bobwhite  2
Great Egret  1
Snowy  Egret  12
Cattle Egret  30
Black-crowned Night-Heron   1
Turkey Vulture  1
Gray Hawk  1
Spotted Sandpiper   1
Upland Sandpiper  3
Laughing Gull  1
Caspian Tern   2     Two birds together; by the vocalizations it appeared
to be  one growling adult and one squealing immature.  Photos taken:  adult
had mottled black crown, heavy red bill with black tip.
Black Tern   6
Red-billed Pigeon  2
Eurasian Collared-Dove  1
White-winged  Dove  30
Mourning Dove  9
Inca Dove  2
Common  Ground-Dove  3
White-tipped Dove  1
Greater Roadrunner   1
Groove-billed Ani  8
Great Horned Owl  1
Ringed  Kingfisher  2
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker  7
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  3
Crested Caracara   1
Brown-crested Flycatcher  2
Great Kiskadee  4
Couch's  Kingbird  10
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo   4
Green Jay  4
Barn Swallow  3
Verdin  2
Bewick's  Wren  7
Cactus Wren  5
Northern Mockingbird   8
Long-billed Thrasher  1
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Olive  Sparrow  2
Black-throated Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal   4
Pyrrhuloxia  1
Dickcissel  8
Red-winged Blackbird   1
Great-tailed Grackle  6
Orchard Oriole  3
Bullock's  Oriole  3
Altamira Oriole  1
Lesser Goldfinch  1
House  Sparrow  20

Falcon SP (LTC 084), Starr, US-TX
Aug 11, 2013 9:02 AM - 11:51  AM
Protocol: Traveling
8.7 mile(s)
46 species

Northern  Bobwhite  12
Neotropic Cormorant  15
Great Blue Heron   1
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret  8
Tricolored Heron   1
Turkey Vulture  7
Upland Sandpiper  3
Laughing Gull   20
Least Tern  1     At least one bird - high-pitched  "ki-deek ki-deek"
vocalization diagnostic
Black Tern  2
Forster's  Tern  15
Black Skimmer  14     Birds were on a spit  out in the lake with other
gulls, terns, cormorants, and egrets; skimmers  obvious by black upperparts,
white underparts, and black-tipped uneven orange  bills.  Birds were spaced
well enough for easy counting.
Eurasian  Collared-Dove  4
White-winged Dove  2
Mourning Dove   1