[texbirds] Re: South Padre Island - Thursday August 30th

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 22:17:39 -0500

With apologies for the late posting, we thought it might be useful to
provide a supplement to Erik Breden's earlier posting related to our birding
trip with him to South Padre Island on Thursday of this week (08/30/12).
Erik discussed warblers seen around the Convention Center that afternoon,
but we thought TEXBIRDS readers might appreciate knowing, also, about other
migrants seen at that time.

Here are the migrants seen that afternoon that were not warblers (not in AOU
order): PAINTED BUNTING (2, very greenish, probably females, perhaps young
males, although latter probably would be less green than these individuals);
DICKCISSEL (1, adult female or first-winter male); WARBLING VIREO (1);
SUMMER TANAGER (1, female, probably adult eastern form as in Sibley guide);
BALTIMORE ORIOLE (3, 2 females, 1 prob.1st  year male); ORCHARD ORIOLE (1
female); BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER (1); RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD (5, at least);
GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER (1); and EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE (1).

We heartily agree with Erik that Thursday afternoon at the SPI Convention
Center provided an extraordinary showing of fall migrants. The wind was
fairly strong out of the east, and that might have played a role in the
excellent migration seen at that time, as might the winds around the
tropical storm to the east.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission from the List Owner