[texbirds] South Padre Island - Thursday August 30th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:06:46 -0500

TexBirders,

Rex and Birgit Stanford and I ventured out to South Padre Island on Thursday August 30th in the hopes of finding something "pelagic" blown in by the easterly winds of hurricane Isaac.

We visited Isla Blanca County Park, but found nothing out of the ordinary during a several hour sea watch.

We spent the rest of the afternoon at the Convention Center gardens, where we definitely found things out of the ordinary, including an amazing13 warbler species! This would be a good day in the spring, but in the fall an outstanding day!

1. Blue-winged Warbler (1)
2. Nashville Warbler (1)
3. Yellow Warbler (6+)
4. Black-throated Green Warbler (1 male)
5. Black-and-white Warbler (1 male)
6. American Redstart (1 female or young male)
7. Louisiana Waterthrush (1)
8. Northern Waterthrush (1)
9. Mourning Warbler (2 - 1 male, 1 female)
10. Canada Warbler (3 - 1 male, 2 females)
11. Wilson's Warbler (5+)
12. Hooded Warbler (1 male)
13. Yellow-breasted Chat (3+)

Photos of many of these can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/fall2012

I also found a very large dragonfly that I cannot identify...help!

http://www.otterside.com/fall2012/dragonfly_sp-1001.jpg

http://www.otterside.com/fall2012/dragonfly_sp-1002.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Erik Breden
Harlingen, Texas

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission from the List Owner