[texbirds] Short-tailed Hawk @ SANWR

  • From: john brush <jimbo-b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:52:31 -0700 (PDT)

Dad and I embraced the opportunity to go birding on an off-day and were
rewarded by a beautiful Short-tailed Hawk (brown "helmet" with white down
throat, brown backed and tailed, clear white below with black on primaries) at
Santa Anna. We first saw it at Pintail Lakes and got pretty good looks, but
then got some really great looks again from the hawk tower, as it stooped and
attempted to grab something out of a near-by tree, then flew directly overhead.

It was definitely a raptor morning overall; White-tailed Kites, Swainson's
Hawks, Harris's Hawks, Red-shouldered Hawks all at SANWR. Then, as we returned
home we saw a Zone-tailed Hawk flying over our neighborhood in Edinburg again,
perhaps the same bird from January and February returned.

John Brush
Edinburg, Texas