[texbirds] Swainson's Warbler singing in Brazos County- 9/2

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 11:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,

Sunday morning I birded in the Navasota River Bottom in southern Brazos County
and heard a Swainson's Warbler singing. The warbler was singing vigorously. I
used playback once and the warbler came in close and chipped and sang. On
9-15-07 I heard a Swainson's Warbler singing in the exact same location on the
privately-owned property. Again on 9-1-08 a Swainson's Warbler was observed and
heard at this location. Is the warbler exhibiting seasonal recrudescence or are
they actually defending a late season nest? Normally Swainson's Warblers cease
singing in the Central Brazos Valley by late July. A few years ago friends
heard a Swainson's Warbler singing in September in Robertson County.

On this visit I found only one Wood Stork and it was soaring. Other birds
included 5 Wood Ducks, adult and immature White Ibis, 2 adult Red-headed
Woodpeckers, one Eastern Phoebe, a couple Alder Flycatchers calling, 5 Eastern
Kingbirds overhead, one Yellow-throated Vireo singing, one adult and one
scruffy young Red-eyed Vireo, 10+ Yellow Warblers, one male Common
Yellowthroat, one Northern Parula, one Yellow-breasted Chat, 6+ Indigo
Buntings(including one singing, one female Orchard Oriole, and 30+ Dickcissels
calling overhead throughout the morning,

Good birding,
Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill