[texbirds] Shipp Lake - Bastrop; American White Pelican and Wood Storks

  • From: "Michael Goebel" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "micraygoe@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 22:05:46 +0000 (UTC)

ery full on both sides of Highway 71.  South of 71, on the East shore of the
lake we had a lone American White Pelican.  Also, a single Yellow-crowned
Night Heron, several Green Herons, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, and many Cattle
Egrets.
North of 71, Cattle Egrets have established a large rookery on the western
shore of the lake.  The willow trees are full of nests, and some number of
Cattle Egrets are always airborne.  At least 500+ Cattle Egrets.  The only
view is from the railroad tracks, so I did not stay long.
Thought it about time for some Wood Storks to return, but we did not see any on
the lake.  We birded Loop Road, and on the northern stretch of the loop we
parked where a stream flows under the road.  Walked West about 20 yards to
clear the roadside trees, and in the tops of several trees South of the road
near the creek there were 20 Wood Storks roosting.  They later flew South
toward Shipp Lake.
Mike GoebelBastrop, TX