[texbirds] Re: Shipp Lake - Bastrop; American White Pelican and Wood Storks

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 09:46:03 -0500

This is great!. Roger Shaw said there were also nesting Anhingas with the
Beef Bitterns
On Friday, July 3, 2015, Michael Goebel <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

ery full on both sides of Highway 71. South of 71, on the East shore of
the lake we had a lone American White Pelican. Also, a single
Yellow-crowned Night Heron, several Green Herons, Snowy Egrets, Great
Egrets, and many Cattle Egrets.
North of 71, Cattle Egrets have established a large rookery on the western
shore of the lake. The willow trees are full of nests, and some number of
Cattle Egrets are always airborne. At least 500+ Cattle Egrets. The only
view is from the railroad tracks, so I did not stay long.
Thought it about time for some Wood Storks to return, but we did not see
any on the lake. We birded Loop Road, and on the northern stretch of the
loop we parked where a stream flows under the road. Walked West about 20
yards to clear the roadside trees, and in the tops of several trees South
of the road near the creek there were 20 Wood Storks roosting. They later
flew South toward Shipp Lake.
Mike GoebelBastrop, TX

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell