[texbirds] Shiny Cowbird possible

  • From: Vicki Crutchfield <vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 04:48:53 -0800 (PST)

Baytown Nature Center, on the peninsula near the playground, Wednesday
afternoon, I started scanning a cowbird flock for hopeful Bronze or maybe an
interesting blackbird.

Saw what I initially thought might be a Bronzed posturing against a couple of
Brown headed males. But when the posturing relaxed the shape of the head was
wrong and the eye was dark not red.

The black bird was about the same shape and size as the Brownheaded cowbirds,
beak was thinner.

As he came close to the road I saw him feed a female cowbird and then saw him
call and heard the distinctive rise and fall call with the clink at the end of
a Shiny, check a recording in my car to verify what I heard. The flock kept
spooking and flying due to activity by maintenance crew making the best of the
break in the rainy weather.

It was too overscast to see his color sheen. But I refound him 4 times mostly
due to either call and/or posturing against Brownheaded males. Then the entire
flock left when the grass blowers started up. It was a relatively small flock
on Wednesday. The overcast day did not provide sufficient light for the color.

Saw a possible glimpse of him in the shadow on Thursday morning but only a
glimpse before he flew to the shoreline out of site. Had assistance but was
unable to relocate on Thursday. Listened and looked until about 4 and had to
leave for previous obligation. Did not hear him on Thursday.
Thursday morning had a brief look at what I am pretty sure was the female paler
than I expected, about the same hue as the Brownheaded females, but color was
distinctively more tan than grey, spotted her beak first, slender darker beak,
pale area over eye and definitely no white on throat. only saw her for a couple
of minutes and unable to relocate. I was really hoping to see him in the light,
but never confirmed relocation.

This is definitely not an easy spot, more like a needle in a haystack search.
Going to spend a little time today searching, but I have work I have to do
today.

Wish I had photos, but it would have been difficult even with a good camera.
Flock is very active and I saw the local Osprey take a cowbird Thursday
afternoon. First time I have ever seen an Osprey take something in the grass.
Guess it was just too tempting.

I had never see this feeding behavior before. Wasn't real frequent, but ever so
often noticed male cowbirds offering a tasty tidbit to a female and her taking
it. The females were not specifically showing any begging behavior, it was a
male hopping over and visibly offering. Did not see any copulation or other
mating behavior and most birds seemed more focused on gobbling up grass seeds
and saw a few worms and bugs visibly eaten. Guess I just nevered focused this
much on cowbirds before.

Having serious internet issues since last freeze.

Vicki Crutchfield
Harris County, Texas

Cell : 409-789-1178

Vicki Crutchfield