[texbirds] Re: Scope Recommendations

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:36:49 -0600

Texbirders,
I would like to share my experience with scopes...I must say that I most
certainly do not regret buying a "cheap" (ish) scope. Sure, eventually I
would like to get a super nice scope like a Swarovski or Leica or Kowa. But
for now I definitely do not have the money.

Here are the scopes I have had--all of them have been used with the
exception of the one my work bought:

- When I first started birding as a teenager in Oregon, I was somehow the
recipient of a pretty old Bushnell Spacemaster. I used it on my parents'
old camera tripod (which was really awful), and it worked great for a
while. It digiscoped terrifically.
- I got another scope, a Leupold Sequoia, for my birthday about 10 years
later--my mom bought it for me at a garage sale. It wasn't amazing, but it
was a step up from the old Spacemaster, which a fellow Oregon birder had
called  "a piece of Oregon birding history". This scope came with a pretty
awful tripod from the garage sale. I think my  mom paid $150 for the whole
set-up.
- A few years ago in 2011, I bought the scope I currently own, a Nikon
Fieldscope III, from a fellow Oregon birder. This scope came with a decent
Manfrotto tripod and head. It's good, but my next optics-type purchase will
be a new tripod. The birder from whom I bought the scope gave me a *really*
good deal--under $400 for the scope, the tripod, and two different
Manfrotto heads. This scope is a very good scope, and really not a low end
at all, but the price I paid, since it was used, was pretty low,
relatively.
- For my current job working at Lake Casa Blanca State Park, we bought a
scope for the park for when I lead bird walks and such. We ended up getting
a Leupold Ventana scope, and a Manfrotto tripod and head. The tripod
package we got was Manfrotto 128RC, 190XB tripod and head. The tripod
package was $300, and the scope itself was $250. This is a great scope, and
terrific tripod.

I know that is rather wordy, but my point is, that I have been birding for
15 years, and I "still" don't have a top-end scope. I'm very much okay with
that, too. Eventually I will get one, hopefully, because they really are a
joy to look through. But as I said, I certainly don't regret getting low to
mid range scopes. If I had held out for a top of the line one, I still
might not have one, and I have seen many great views of birds through the
various scopes I have owned.

Eagle Optics is a terrific website that I highly recommend to everybody for
comparing optics for birding. It's very helpful to compare and read reviews
on there, and it has great customer service and virtually free shipping
(free when you spend over $50, which you're bound to do even if you're just
buying binoculars).

Just my two cents' worth.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard