[texbirds] Re: Scope Recommendations

  • From: Bob and Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "crharrison@xxxxxxxxxxx" <crharrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:54:30 -0600

Chris,

I have a Nikon Fieldscope ED60 that I purchased earlier this year for just over
$700 and really like mine too.  The optics are good for the price and the
weight/size make it convenient to carry around.  In low light and cranked all
the way up, you notice this difference between this and the top-end scopes, but
even though the image quality is poorer, it has not yet kept me from
identifying a bird.  At high magnification, even with a large, heavy tripod,
the shake from wind is a bigger problem than image quality.

I, too, would recommend that folks take a look at the Nikon Fieldscopes, if
they are in the market for a scope and not wanting the break the bank. It has
proved to be a valuable birding tool for me.

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios / Houston
Sent from my iPad