[texbirds] Santa Ana Back Road Survey

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 17:30:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Bob and I headed out on this dreary morning for the monthly survey, but the
 good news is that it wasn't raining and windy, even though the temps never
got  above 44!  Things pretty much stayed hidden, but a few highlights
included  Altamira Orioles adding a splash of color to the gray, a big Gray
Hawk
along the  levee adding to the gray, a couple of Harris' Hawks, and both
Marsh and Sedge  Wrens at Cattail Lakes (Sedge was new for my personal Santa
Ana list, as were  the Collared Doves we picked up on the way out... :-P)
Poor Bob still  stands at one kingfisher species (the Amazon) seeing as the
Green was ticking  away at his regular perch at the end of Jaguarundi Trail,
but out of sight,  naturally... ;-)  That's where all the Turkey Vultures
were hanging as  well, sitting around until it got a little warmer, and two
separate Beardless  Tyrannulets came in on different trails. A special treat
was observing some  water droplets beaded up on some feathers that made for
some fascinating  patterns!

Pictures are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/February/Santa%
20Ana%20Survey.html

Bird List:

Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, US-TX
Feb 8, 2014 7:14 AM - 12:08  PM
Protocol: Traveling
15.3 mile(s)
Comments:     41-44  degrees; calm to slight breeze; dreary
44 species (+1 other  taxa)
Gadwall  3
Northern Shoveler  2
Northern  Pintail  3
Plain Chachalaca  6
Turkey Vulture   25
Cooper's Hawk  1
Harris's Hawk  2
Gray Hawk   1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Killdeer  2
Eurasian Collared-Dove   7
Mourning Dove  9
Common Ground-Dove  10
White-tipped  Dove  2
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Green  Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  4
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker  14
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet  2