[texbirds] Roy Guerrero Park

  • From: Mary McCarley <marymccarley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:04:19 -0500

We went out this morning for the Travis Audubon’s Young Birders Club
Bird-A-Thon, team name- Roadrunner Racers. We spent a couple hours at Roy
Guerrero Park. The day started at the pavilion where we had a Red- bellied
Woodpecker, Cedar Waxwings and a flyover Black- bellied Whistling Duck. Along
the way, among the usual suspects, we saw Scissor- tail Flycatchers and a
Cooper’s Hawk. One person also saw a Sharp- shinned Hawk. While watching some
White- crowned Sparrows, we found 2 Pyrrhuloxias, a male and a female! Very
exciting for everyone! Down on the beach area, we had 2 and then 3 Yellow-
crowned Night Herons flyover and a Spotted Sandpiper. Back at the pavilion
area, we had a Downy Woodpecker before the rain ended the day for us. It was a
foggy and overcast day, but we still had a total of 32 species.

Mary McCarley
Leander, TX