[texbirds] Roy Guerra River Park & Colorado River Nature Preserve

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:16:45 -0600

I went chasing Ted's Vermillion Flycatcher in Roy Guerrero River Park (Austin)
this morning and found just about everything but over a 2.4-mile loop and about
2.5 hours, including American White Pelicans on the river. I really expected to
get those in my patch flying over if at all. Other highlights were Lesser
Goldfinch in full breeding colors, a Hermit Thrush, Pintails, lots of Lesser
Scaups, Mallards, Gadwalls, Golden-crowned Kinglet (1), 3 wrens (House,
Bewick's, Carolina), a Merlin, 3 woodpeckers (Red-bellied, Downy, and YB
Sapsucker), a Green Kingfisher, Inca Doves, a Spotted Sandpiper, and Bufflehead
(always a favorite - they're just pretty).

I then went over to the Colorado River Nature Preserve across the river. I had
not known it was there, Just thought it was woods and the occasional people I
saw on the sandbars across from RGRP had just wandered down out of people's
back yards. Someone I met in the park told me how to get in. There, I added
Brown Thrasher, a Common Yellowthroat, a Ladder-backed Woodpecker (seems a bit
out of place), and a Marsh Wren as well as the more usual suspects.

I just got an error message when posting to the My Patch Facebook page that
says I'm using the feature more quickly than it is supposed to be used. Are we
really supposed to type slowly when making a Facebook comment? Did Facebook
presume that it's users can't type? Maybe that is why the IPO did so poorly. It
certainly is a turnoff and annoying for me. Once it warned me, it warned me I
might be barred from making comments if I persisted in typing at my usual rate.
Go figure. )-:

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632