[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Saturday Bird Walk

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:42:00 -0500

We started on the tram. At the first bridge we found an immature Harris's
Hawk perched in the willow by the Ebony Deck, a Groove-billed Ani low over
the resaca, a male Green Kingfisher, and plenty of Couch's Kingbirds.
Painted Bunting females were actually more visible than Indigo Buntings,
with both seen best near the second bridge. Least Grebe was also closer at
the second bridge. A flock of Cedar Waxwings surprised us near the start
of the grasslands area. They were perched in a large Mesquite across the
road from the Altamira Oriole nest. Rose-breasted Grosbeak was in a tree
close to the nest. Warblers were missing until we started walking the
parking island area around 10:00. We found Tennessee, Nashville,
Chestnut-sided and Black-throated Green as well as a male Summer Tanager
and a first year male Orchard Oriole.
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Hike *Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walk* Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Butterfly Walk* Sunday: 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m..
*Night Hike* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs) - small fee
*Nature Tram Rides*: Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 3
Blue-winged Teal 2
Plain Chachalaca 15
Least Grebe 2
Great Egret 2
Harris's Hawk 1
Swainson's Hawk 1
Laughing Gull 5
Inca Dove 3
White-tipped Dove 2
White-winged Dove 75
Mourning Dove 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Groove-billed Ani 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Green Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Brown-crested Flycatcher 1
Couch's Kingbird 16
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 3
White-eyed Vireo 2
Green Jay 8
Barn Swallow 2
Verdin 1 heard only
Bewick's Wren 1 heard only
Gray Catbird 1
Long-billed Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 10
Cedar Waxwing 14 near start of grasslands in a mesquite tree, crested,
yellow tip to tail, buffy brown
Tennessee Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1