[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Saturday Bird Walk

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:52:40 -0600

Six braved cool drizzly weather to join the bird walk this morning.
Ladder-backed Woodpeckers and Carolina Wrens were quite active toward the
end.  We also found several active Olive Sparrows and a couple Lincoln's
Sparrows.  None posed for long but were more cooperative than the
Long-billed Thrashers - only one thrasher actually showed itself.  The Lark
Sparrow was spotted right outside the Visitor Center immediately after the
walk.  Two of the Altamira Orioles were at the feeder oranges before and
after.  We saw a different pair across the resaca at Ebony Deck.  At
Kiskadee Deck all ducks flushed immediately, but we were still able to see
three species as they circled overhead.  Least and Pied-billed Grebe were
in their favored location close to the 2nd bridge.  Yesterday's Gray
Catbirds were not found - but the drizzle at that point was just a little
too strong for much to be moving.  Once the rain lessened things became
livelier.  Most warblers were moving through quickly.  White-eyed Vireos
and a Common Yellowthroat were twitchy, but a couple Blue-headed Vireos
were easier to track.  Yellow-rumped Warblers are becoming abundant,
especially along the resaca.
New in January - Nature Walks every Friday morning.  Birds, butterflies,
plants, and anything else we find!

Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Walks *Friday:  9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walks* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
*Butterfly Walks* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Night Hikes* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small
fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 41 species
Gadwall  40